Monday, November 17, 2014

Of Mice and Men

The best book I believe that I have ever read is Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. The book consists of two main characters, George and Lenny. They are two migrant workers who are about to start work on a farm. Lenny has a mild mental disability and seems to be very dependent on George for survival. Of Mice and Men teaches an important lesson of human isolation and loneliness. The characters in this book are very insecure at times and will build their self-esteem by killing other's. An example of this is when Crooks puts down Lennies dream of a farm because he cannot do anything with George. Crooks is a lonely, black man with a crooked back. He uses his misery to put down Lennie because he knows he can. The reason I love this book so much is because the idea of true friendship. These two men protect each other and protect their dream, together. They ultimately get so close that you can almost consider them as two brothers. Eventually the friendship vanishes and one of them is dead. I love the ending to this book because it really shows you how quick things could turn. Everyday is a new day and we need to appreciate it. I almost lost my best friend to a drug addiction last year and I realized that life could be taken from the young. This book and my life experience prove a lesson to me and make me look at life a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment